Amanda Edwards, Houston City Council Member in At-Large Position 4 spoke at NAWBO Houston’s monthly luncheon and shared what it takes to run a successful campaign.
Here are some of the takeaways from her presentation.
- Get Involved – When asked whether to do something for strategic purposes are do what you enjoy doing, Edwards said do what you love. Doing what you love will make it easier when you have long days and things don’t go as planned. Ask yourself where can I contribute and empower the community.
- Your purpose is not always comfortable.
- Don’t make promises you can’t keep. Create a message that you can deliver. That way your answer is consistent whenever asked.
- There will be setbacks. Give yourself 24 hours to eat the ice cream but after that, get your head back in the game.
- Don’t let fear of rejection stop you. People that follow that purpose aren’t fearless, they’re just willing to confront the fear.
- Be cautious about riding waves. Polls and people will have you believe you’re unbeatable. Stay steady. Stay in the middle of the wave. Don’t attach your value to the wave.
- Don’t believe in other’s limitations about you.
- Know how you want to effect change.
- Do your research.
The women of NAWBO Houston would like to thank Ms. Edwards for sharing her story and what running a successful campaign looks like.
Join us next month! Johanna Chryssikos of ARTEMIS Partners will talk about The Art of Negotiation and Leaving NO Money on the Table! Click here to register today!